December 26, 2010

Merry Xmas 2010

An attempt to create a snow angel
The holidays are here. There are Christmas decorations in almost every window. It's freezing outside and the huge amounts of snow is glittering in the sunlight. The park is all white. Snowmen are everywhere. People are throwing snowballs. It's not just another day in London.

When I was a kid, I've always thought that celebrating Christmas means celebrating a Christian's festival. It kinda feels like I'd be part of them, part of the religion. Well, why not. At that time, all I know is that Christmas Day is a Christian holiday celebrated on Dec the 25th every year to commemorate the birth of Jesus Chris. Celebrating it would make me conflicting against my faith as a Muslim. To me, celebrating Christmas was wrong.

But that was then.

After two years in London, I kinda understand now how those people feel about Christmas. Some practicing Christians are really honoring the birth of Jesus. While for some, celebrating Christmas is not really about participating in the religious traditions. It's a great day to spend with their family and friends. It's just the way we Muslims celebrate our Eid. Friends and family. Great foods. Chats and laughters.

While being particular with what we do in relation to our faiths is good, rejecting everything that sometimes actually bring good is not. That's what I think. Ah well.

Merry Xmas. Ho - ho.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Write a reply